Scene Assembly

To start my scene first I added some of the main 3D models such as sand for the ground, skybox, and game board. I knew I would not be moving these objects so I confirmed there position then locked them into place to avoid and disruptions when animating later on. After that, I imported the rest of the objects like the crab, tree, and different sets of grass. I created duplicate objects for the trees and grass then placed them around the scene until I had a nice looking game board. Once the vegetation was complete I imported the Pirates Chest and sized it accordingly to the rest of the scene.



The model of the game board provided had already been animated, so when it came to adding other animations, It was a matter of timing them together with the board opening. I animated the trees to fold out with the board similar to a pop out book by having the trees start on a 90-degree angle then fold and zoom out as the board opened. I had the camera pan around while the board opened up, this all followed the guidelines of the storyboard. For extra work, I had the crabs jump onto the board rather than just appearing with the trees and grass. To make this advertisement stand out even more I wanted the crabs to interact with the chest as to give them more reason for being there. The final stage was to add the coin fly out effect and adjust the length of frames at the end to give enough time for a short message at the end when I added the logo in while compositing.


As the chest and other models already had some basic lighting pre-textured in, it was only necessary to add a single area light in the scene that would brighten it up and add shadow. I made small changes to the lighting properties while going back and re-rendering the view until I was satisfied with the overall effect.

Compositing and Editing

Once I was happy with the scene, lighting and animation sequence I then began to export. Firstly adjusting the export properties to match the proper aspect ratio and framerate, I then did a couple single frame exports till I found a setting that was both high in quality while not taking to long to export. After that, I began the overnight render of all frames.

Now finished with my scene I started working on the advert using Adobe Premier. The first step was to set up the project with the correct settings. I then imported all the frames and begun adding transitional effects. Before starting I had already worked on a logo for which I would advertise that the game is available on iOS and Andriod. Fortunately, I already layered this correctly before hand and so when I had the idea of splitting up the logo’s transition, it was simple enough as re-exporting both layers into separate images. Once I was happy with the transitions, I then edited in sound effects and background music for a final effect.


Thank you for taking the time to read my production process. Until my next blog post, goodbye for now.